Hey there! I’m a Ruby core committer and Senior Developer at Shopify.
Check out my blog for notes I take along the way!
Senior Developer - Ruby Infrastructure
May 2020 - Present
- Working on the Ruby programming language.
Production Engineering Intern - Ruby and Rails Infrastructure
May 2019 - August 2019
- Experimented and implemented static type checking for Shopify’s core Ruby on Rails monolith system using the Sorbet static typechecker, which was able to find over 30 bugs in the system.
- Contributed to various open and closed source tools to ease transition into Sorbet. Projects include a runtime typechecker for Sorbet, RBI (Ruby Interface) file generator, and Rubocop lint rules for Sorbet.
- Contributed to the popular open-sourced web framework Ruby on Rails, focusing on the asset storage component, Active Storage.
Privacy/Trust RnD Developer Intern
May 2018 - August 2018
- Contributed to kafka-scrubber, a Go project that obfuscates PII (personally identifiable information) from Kafka topics before data is placed in long term storage.
- Designed, prototyped, and implemented a security-oriented microservice platform called minerva-bot. This platform is architected in a component based Ruby on Rails architecture, allowing for loosely coupled components while decreasing development time. The bot performs various services for com- pliance purposes, along with automating tasks such as account permission requests and multi-factor authentication resets.
Security DevOps Engineer Intern
June 2017 - September 2017
- Worked with Ruby on Rails to fix security vulnerabilities in critical components of Shopify, including authentication and API.
- Rebooted an internal project at Shopify called push-scraper, which detects secrets (such as API keys/tokens, passwords, etc.) that get accidentally committed onto GitHub.
University of Toronto
Bachelor of Science (Incomplete), Computer Science
2017 - 2020
- GPA: 3.91/4.0
- Incomplete (on indefinite sabbatical).
Certifications & Awards
Canadian Computing Olympiad Bronze Medallist
- Invited to the University of Waterloo to compete in the CCO as one of the top 30 contestants (out of more than 3000) of the Canadian Computing Contest (CCC).
Oracle Certified Professional, Java SE7 Programmer
- License: 240037109OCPJSE7
Oracle Certified Associate, Java SE7 Programmer
- License: 240037109OCAJSE7
CompTIA A+ CE
September 2015 - September 2018
- License: 6VJSGELG1KQ4QRWL